This Is My Boast... (2 Corinthians 1:12-14) - Calvary Baptist Cobourg

Scroll down for full message

There are two things I would like to look at, arising out of these few verses of Paul's writing.

The first is his use of the word ‘boast.’

Now, I was always told growing up that boasting was bad. “You're not supposed to boast.” “Don't be boastful.” “Boasting is an expression of pride and pride is one of the Seven Deadly Sins."

Is boasting bad? Well, yes and no.

When we look at the original language, Paul uses this same word ‘boast’ in verses twelve and fourteen, once as a noun, and once as a verb. The way he uses them gives us slightly different nuances, slightly different emphases.

 In verse twelve he says, “This is our boast; our conscience testifies...” The commentaries I used in preparing for message point out that that this is a noun: “This is our boast.” It’s a thing, something that Paul has.

The definition that I found most helpful is that a boast is a “legitimate confidence rooted in what God has enabled one to do.” “My conscience testifies...” Paul’s boast is a legitimate statement of something that God has enabled Paul to do.

Paul has looked at his own life and has seen what he has done well. He has obeyed the calling of God with integrity, with sincerity, with pureness of purpose, with wholeness of motivation, with honesty, with openness. He has looked within himself and he knows that he has not been motivated by selfishness, by self-importance, by a paycheque. He has not been motivated to manipulate or to control vulnerable people for his own ego. He has examined his own heart and found there that his “conscience testifies” in his favour. He has a legitimate confidence.

Of course, sometimes our confidence is not legitimate. The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? (Jeremiah 17:9). Sometimes our heart tells us lies.

In the book of James we see the same word ‘boast’ used in a very different way. “...you boast in your proud intentions and all such boasting is evil” (James 4:16). So how come James’ boasting is evil and Paul's boasting is legitimate?

If you look at the two passages, and the context in which the word is used, it's easy to see that what makes the difference between legitimate boasting and evil boasting is what we are boasting about. James is warning us against arrogance and against self-sufficiency. He's urging us toward trust in God and trust in God is exactly where Paul’s boast arises: from his trust in God. It is rooted in what God has enabled him to do.

In verse fourteen, Paul uses the word boast slightly differently; “...you can boast of us, just as we will boast of you in the day of the Lord.” Here the word is a verb. This is an action. This is something that he's doing. The first ‘boast’ is something that he possesses. Here it's something he's doing and the definition for the verb ‘to boast’ is “to give complimentary testimony.” In the first case, Paul is encouraging himself as much as anybody else. In this case, he's encouraging and speaking about other people. He is not patting himself on the back. He is patting somebody else on the back.

In 1 Corinthians 9:16, Paul uses the same word. He says, “When I preach the gospel, I have no reason to boast, because I am obligated to preach.” He's reminding himself and reminding us that he has no reason to congratulate himself—to tell people how wonderful he is—because all he's doing is obeying God. Rather, the ‘boasting’ that he looks forward to doing in the “Day of the Lord” is an offering and a receiving of mutual joyous celebration.

That is the second thing I want to look at, that made such an impact on me.

In verse fourteen, Paul says that he's looking forward to the Day of the Lord Jesus Christ. The Day of the Lord is the term that's used in both the Old Testament and the New Testament for the day when God rules: when God will judge all of humanity, when God will re-instantiate creation with a new heaven and a new earth, when we will stand in the throneroom of heaven with our perfected feet dusted with the soil of the new Earth.

The Day of the Lord is the day when, as God's people—as those who have followed faithfully, as those who have fought and overcome in battle with the enemy, those who have entered eternity in the light of the face of Christ Jesus--we will have a voice. We will have a perfected voice.

In the Book of Daniel we read that in the Day of the Lord, the holy people of the Most High will be given the Kingdom.

In Jesus’ words we read that those who had left everything to follow him will judge the twelve tribes.

In John's writing, we read that in the Day of the Lord, those who are redeemed through the power of Christ's shed blood are made a Kingdom and priests who will serve God by reigning on the new Earth.

In Paul's writing, we read that the saints—that's us—will judge the world and the angels.

We're not sure exactly what that looks like. We're not sure exactly what that will entail. But it's very, very clear that these Spirit-inspired writers all understood that what awaits us in eternity... is Life! Full life, and life together! With that in mind, read those words, “I will boast of you in the Day of the Lord.” See if it doesn’t capture your imagination.

Imagine standing in the throneroom of the new creation. And with your perfected voice having the opportunity to speak, and to say, “Hey, you guys! Hey, let me tell you about that Calvary Baptist Church! Who they were, and who they became!”

And in the same way, I imagine standing in that throne room and with my perfected ears hearing someone say, “Hey, what about that Ruth? Let me tell you who she was! Let me tell you who she became!”

That is a moment when I will boast of you. And I hope I will give you reason to boast of me.

This passage really hit home for me as I start on this new season of ministry here at Calvary Baptist. For Paul, these words are sort of a ‘mission accomplished.’ For me, Paul’s words provide a ‘mission statement.’

As I begin my ministry here, as I look forward to spending weeks together in this space or meeting people in cafes or in their homes, praying, talking, sharing, communion. As I look forward to meeting with the Deacons and the Directorate and getting an understanding of who we all are together and what is happening in this congregation. As I look forward to getting to know you. I look to these verses as guardrails, providing guidance, providing accountability born of Paul's experience.

I mean, Paul was a genius. He was a rock star. He was massively gifted. He was hugely intelligent. Whether or not he was likeable is something that we debate. But this was a guy who had been personally visited by Jesus after the Ascension. After Jesus ascended to heaven, he came looking for Paul. If anybody had an excuse to get a little bit ego trippy, Paul was that guy. He qualified for pats on the back. He qualified for self-congratulation. But he didn't go there.

Instead, he fell back on the “legitimate confidence” that was rooted in what God had enabled him to do: to work with integrity, to work with godly sincerity not depending on worldly wisdom, but on God's grace.

I can't stand here on this first Sunday and promise you that I will agree with everybody on everything, because if I tried, my head would probably explode. I can't promise to triple attendance on Sunday mornings in six weeks. I can't even (sorry, Art) promise that I will go knocking on doors, getting people to donate barrels of potatoes. I can't promise you those things.

But I will promise you this; I will promise you that with God's help, one day when your new Pastor comes and it is time for me to step away, that I will have ministered and worked in such a way that my conscience will testify that I have conducted myself in the world and with you, with integrity and with godly sincerity, relying not on worldly wisdom but on God's grace. 

So that in the day of the Lord Jesus Christ, you will be able to boast of me just as I will boast of you.

For full message:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Temptation (Matthew 4:1-11) - Calvary Baptist Cobourg

Foundations 5: What Do We Do? (Matthew 5:13-16) - Calvary Baptist Cobourg

Temptation 2 - Lead Us Not... (Luke 4:1-13) Calvary Baptist Cb